Middle (St. Peter)
MIDDLE (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Ellesmere, partly in the liberties of Shrewsbury, but chiefly in the hundred of Pimhill, N. division of the county of Salop, 8 miles (N. by W.) from Shrewsbury; containing 1330 inhabitants, of whom 456 are in the township. The parish comprises 4500a. 2r. 18p. The soil is chiefly red sand, but partly a rich loam, alternated with stiff clay, producing good wheat; the surface is undulated, and there is a lake of about 10 acres, called Marton Pool. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 7. 3½., and in the patronage of the Trustees of the Earl of Bridgewater: the tithes have been commuted for £1100, and the glebe comprises 3 acres. At Hadnall-Ease is a separate incumbency. In the parish are the remains of a castle built by Lord L'Estrange.