Mickleton (St. Lawrence)
MICKLETON (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Shipston-upon-Stour, Upper division of the hundred of Kiftsgate, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 2½ miles (N. by E.) from Chipping-Campden; containing, with the hamlets of Clopton and Hidcote-Bartrim, 698 inhabitants. It comprises nearly 4000 acres: the soil is chiefly a deep clay, producing excellent crops of grain; the surface is irregular, and includes a portion of the Cotswold hills. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £9. 14. 4½., and in the patronage of the Crown; impropriator, J. Roberts, Esq. The great tithes have been commuted for £144, and the vicarial for £105; there is a glebe-house, and the glebe comprises 30 acres. The church is a handsome structure, partly Norman, and partly of later date. Several members of the family of Graves, eminent for their literary talents, were born or resided here; and Sir Anthony Keck, an eminent lawyer, and one of the commissioners of the great seal in 1688, was a native of the parish.