Mickleover (All Saints)
MICKLEOVER (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Burton-upon-Trent, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, S. division of the county of Derby, 3 miles (W. S. W.) from Derby, on the road to Uttoxeter; containing, with the chapelries of Findern and Littleover, 1673 inhabitants, of whom 760 are in the township of Mickleover. The manor was given, with Findern, Littleover, and Potlac, by William the Conqueror, to Burton Abbey; Henry VIII. granted these manors to Sir William Paget, and in 1648 Edward Wilmot purchased two shares of the property. In 1801 Edward Sacheverel Chandos Pole, Esq., purchased the portion held by Sir Robert Wilmot, Bart. The other part of the manor was sold in 1648 by the heiress of Sir William Withepol to Sir John Curzon, from whose family it passed to the Newtons. The manor of Mickleover, Littleover, and Findern, now belongs jointly to E. S. C. Pole, and William Leaper Newton, Esqrs. The parish, called also Great Over, comprises about 5000 acres, whereof 2296a. 3r. are in Mickleover township; of the latter area, 1671 acres are grass, 602 arable, 16 plantation, and 7 gardenground. The soil is rather strong, with strata of marl and clay beneath. The scenery is beautiful, and very extensive, embracing, to the south, the town of Burtonupon-Trent, the village of Repton, Breedon Hill, and Charnwood Forest; to the west, Etwall, and the Weaver hills in Staffordshire; and from various points are seen many seats of the nobility and gentry. Among the more distinguished of these may be mentioned, Foremark, the seat of Sir Robert Burdett, Bart.; Calke Abbey, that of Sir John Harpur Crewe, Bart.; Bretby Hall, of the Earl of Chesterfield; Sudbury Park, of Lord Vernon; and Radbourn, of Mr. Pole.
Within the parish are some good residences, the principal of which are Mickleover House, The Cedars, The Limes, and The Pastures. On the border of the parish, but within the parish of Etwall, is the estate of Bearward-cote or Barrocote, consisting of 427 acres, the property of Mr. Newton; it formerly had a manor-house in the Elizabethan style, surrounded by a moat, but the mansion was taken down about 1796. The old manor-house of Mickleover, once the seat of the Newtons, and now the property of Mr. Newton, having become much dilapidated, has been recently restored and embellished by the present owner. The village, which is large and well built, is situated on an eminence commanding a fine view of the valley of the Trent and the mansions and grounds already named. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £9. 11. 5½.; net income, £550, with a neat modern house; patrons, Lord Scarsdale, and Sir Henry Sacheverel Wilmot, Bart., the former of whom has two presentations, and the latter one. The glebe of the vicar comprises 187 acres. The impropriation belongs to Mrs. Chapman, and the impropriate tithes of the township of Mickleover have been commuted for £158. 15. The church is a plain substantial building, consisting of a nave, chancel, aisles, and a low embattled tower with pinnacles: the date is not known. The Wesleyan Methodists have a place of worship; and a school is supported by subscription.