Michaelstow (St. Michael)
MICHAELSTOW (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Camelford, hundred of Lesnewth, E. division of Cornwall, 3¼ miles (S. W. by S.) from Camelford; containing 225 inhabitants. It is intersected in the north-eastern part by the river Camel, and comprises by measurement 1613 acres, of which 793 are arable, 250 meadow and pasture, and 30 woodland and plantations; the soil is light but very fertile, and the surface is generally undulated. The road from Camelford to Bodmin passes through the parish. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £10. 13. 9., and in the patronage of the Crown, in right of the duchy of Cornwall; net income, £270. At Helsbury are the mount and other earthworks of an ancient castle called the Beacon.