MICHAEL, ST., a parish, partly in the borough of St. Alban's, but chiefly in the hundred of Cashio, or liberty of St. Alban's, union of St. Alban's, county of Hertford, ¾ of a mile (W. by N.) from St. Alban's; containing 1999 inhabitants, of whom 1140 are in the borough. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10. 1. 3.; net income, £300; patron and impropriator, the Earl of Verulam. The church, though situated in the town of St. Alban's, and within the walls of the ancient city of Verulam, is without the limits of the borough. It was erected by Ulsinus, the sixth abbot, and has a square embattled tower; the chancel is built principally of Roman tiles from the ruins of Verulam, and attached to the south side of the nave is a chapel.