MEXBOROUGH, a parish, in the union of Doncaster, S. division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, W. riding of York, 6½ miles (N. E. by N.) from Rotherham; containing, with the township of Dennaby, 1425 inhabitants, of whom 1258 are in the township of Mexborough. This place, called by Matthew of Westminster Maisebel, was the scene of a memorable battle between the Saxons and the Britons under Aurelius Ambrosius, in which the latter were victorious. The parish is situated on the north and south sides of the river Don, and comprises, according to a recent survey, 2190a. 1r. 35p., of which 1169a. 1r. 2p. are in the township of Mexborough; of these latter, 630 are arable, 275 pasture, and 200 common. The soil is fertile, and there are two quarries of durable stone, of good quality for building, and also in some request for grindstones. The village is near the junction of the river Don and the Dearne and Dove canal; here are a glass-house, two potteries for the manufacture of glass and earthenware, and a yard for boat-building. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £120; patron, the Archdeacon of the West riding. The tithes have been commuted for £600, and the glebe comprises 39 acres. The church is an ancient structure, with a tower surmounted by a spire, and contains some remnants of stained glass; two galleries and an organ have been lately erected, and the whole of the interior has been repaired and restored. There are places of worship for Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and Kilhamites. The parish has several aggers, supposed to have been raised by the Romans for strengthening their works at Templeborough.