Mevagissey (St. Mevan and St. Issi)
MEVAGISSEY (St. Mevan and St. Issi), a parish, in the union of St. Austell, E. division of the hundred of Powder and of the county of Cornwall, 6 miles (E. S. E.) from Grampound; containing 2310 inhabitants. This parish, the name of which is derived from its patron saints, borders on a bay of the same name in the English Channel, and comprises, according to measurement, 1222 acres. The population is chiefly employed in the pilchard-fishery, for which the place is celebrated. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 4. 2.; net income, £186; patron, the Rev. F. Carlyon; impropriator, the Duke of Buckingham. The vicarage is endowed with a portion of the great tithes, and the glebe comprises 18 acres. The church, a very ancient structure, had formerly a tower. There are places of worship for Independents, Wesleyans, and Bryanites.