Meux, or Meaux
MEUX, or Meaux, a township, in the parish of Waghen, union of Beverley, Middle division of the wapentake of Holderness, E. riding of York, 5½ miles (E.) from Beverley; comprising 1390 acres, and containing 95 inhabitants. A Cistercian abbey was founded here in 1150, by William le Gros, Earl of Albemarle, and dedicated to the Virgin; it stood in the vale of the Melsa, was adorned with stately pinnacles and towers, and enriched with sculpture and tessellated pavements. The establishment consisted of fifty monks, whose revenue, at the Dissolution, amounted to £445. 10. 5. The only remains are an outer wall and arched gateway, but many of its ornaments are in the collections of antiquaries, and a fine tessellated pavement, removed from the foundation of the abbey church in 1833, now fronts the mansion of Mr. Wise.