Methwold (St. George)
METHWOLD (St. George), a parish, in the union of Thetford, hundred of Grimshoe, W. division of Norfolk, 6 miles (N. N. W.) from Brandon; containing 1441 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Lynn to Bury St. Edmund's, and comprises 13,192a. 3r. 9p., whereof about 4969 acres are pasture and meadow, 7921 arable, and 65 woodland. In the neighbourhood is a warren that once contained a great number of rabbits, the fur of which was in considerable repute. Here was formerly a market; and a fair is still held on the 23rd of April, for horses, cattle, &c. The inhabitants are exempt from serving on juries out of their own parish. The living is a discharged vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Cranwick, and valued in the king's books at £9. 1. 3.; impropriators, H. S. Partridge and W. L. Jones, Esqrs. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £1102. 10., and the vicarial for £340; the impropriate glebe contains 133 acres. The church, a handsome structure in the later English style, has an embattled tower surmounted by a crocketed spire; the chancel contains neat memorials to the Partridge family. There is a place of worship for dissenters. The proceeds of about 26 acres allotted at the inclosure, are distributed in money to the poor; and the occupiers of 72 tenements have a right of fuel on 365 acres of fen. Some slight remains are visible of the priory of Slewesholme, called Slusham, a cell to the monastery of Castle-Acre.