Methley (St. Oswald)
METHLEY (St. Oswald), a parish, in the Lower division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, W. riding of York, 7 miles (E. S. E.) from Leeds; containing 1702 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the south by the Calder, that river here forming a confluence with the Aire, which is on the east. It comprises 3336a. 2r. 20p., whereof about three-fourths are arable; the soil is in a high state of cultivation, and the scenery is richly diversified. Some coal-pits here have been lately worked out. Methley Park, the residence of the Earl of Mexborough, originally a castellated edifice surrounded by a moat, has been much enlarged by the present earl, and is now a stately and elegant mansion. The village is irregularly built, and some of the houses are ancient: there is a small trade in malt. The Midland railway runs through the parish, and is joined in the vicinity by the York and North-Midland line, and also by the Leeds and Manchester line. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £25. 8. 6½., and in the patronage of the Crown, in right of the duchy of Lancaster; net income, £908, arising from 374 acres of land allotted at the inclosure in lieu of tithes. The church is partly in the decorated, but chiefly in the later, English style, with a square embattled tower and well-proportioned spire; over the south entrance is a statue of the tutelar saint, and the interior contains some ancient and interesting monuments. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists.