Messingham (Holy Trinity)
MESSINGHAM (Holy Trinity,) a parish, in the union of Glandford-Brigg, E. division of the wapentake of Manley, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 7½ miles (W. by S.) from Glandford-Brigg; containing, with part of the township of East Butterwick, 1548 inhabitants, of whom 1368 are in the township of Messingham. The parish is bounded on the west by the river Trent, and comprises about 6000 acres of land, mostly arable, with a little wood: the surface is undulated, and the soil of various qualities, chiefly clay and sand; a portion of the surface has been fertilized by warping from the Trent. The village is large, and pleasantly situated on a slope. The living is a discharged vicarage, with the vicarage of Bottesford united in 1727, valued in the king's books at £10; net income, £598: it is in the alternate patronage of the Bishop and the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln. The tithes were commuted for land in 1800. The church is a neat edifice, built, with the exception of the tower, in 1821. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; and a national school is supported by subscription.