Merther (St. Merther)
MERTHER (St. Merther), a parish, in the union of Truro, W. division of the hundred of Powder and of the county of Cornwall, 5 miles (W.) from Tregoney; containing 408 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on St. Clement's Creek, an inlet of the river Mopus, is distinguished for the treaty concluded at Tresilian Bridge, between Sir Ralph Hopton, on the part of the royalists, and Sir Thomas Fairfax, on that of the parliamentarians, in 1646, by which Cornwall was surrendered to the latter. Abundance of excellent stone for building is quarried. The creek is navigable for barges up to Tresilian Bridge; and the two great roads from London to Falmouth viâ Launceston and viâ Plymouth, skirt the parish. The living is a perpetual curacy, formerly annexed to the vicarage of Probus, from which it was separated in 1532; net income, £57; patrons, the Parishioners; appropriators, the Dean and Canons of Christ-Church, Oxford, whose tithes have been commuted for £250. The church is an ancient structure. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. William Hals, author of the Parochial History of Cornwall, resided at Tresawson, in the parish.