Mersea, East (St. Edmund)
MERSEA, EAST (St. Edmund), a parish, in the union of Lexden and Winstree, hundred of Winstree, N. division of Essex, 9 miles (S. S. E.) from Colchester; containing 331 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1844 acres, whereof 72 are common or waste; it occupies the eastern portion of the Isle of Mersea, and is bounded on the north by Pyefleet channel, and on the east and south by the Colne, near its confluence with the Blackwater. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £21, and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £427, and the glebe comprises 20 acres. The church has a square stone tower, which formerly served as a landmark. A national school is partly supported by a bequest of £200.