Merrow (St. John the Evangelist)
MERROW (St. John the Evangelist), a parish, in the union of Guildford, Second division of the hundred of Wokeing, W. division of Surrey, 2 miles (E. N. E.) from Guildford; containing 252 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Leatherhead to Guildford, and comprises 1608 acres, of which 783 are arable, 335 pasture, 92 woodland and plantations, and the remainder common and waste. From many parts of the downs here, the prospects are exceedingly beautiful, particularly from the well-known spot called Newlands Corner, which commands a landscape of vast extent, richly cultivated, and adorned with mansions, parks, and villages. The Guildford race-course is in the parish. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 0. 2½., and in the gift of the Earl of Onslow: the tithes have been commuted for £250. The church exhibits strong characteristics of Norman architecture, both in the northern entrance, and in the nave: having been restored and enlarged, it was re-opened in April, 1843, and now presents a very neat appearance.