Merkshall, or Mattishall-Heath (St. Edmund)
MERKSHALL, or Mattishall-Heath (St. Edmund), a parish, in the union of Henstead, hundred of Humbleyard, E. division of Norfolk, 3½ miles (S.) from Norwich; containing 24 inhabitants. It comprises 540 acres, of which 417 are arable, 87 meadow, and 12 woodland. The living is a sinecure rectory, united to the rectory of Caistor St. Edmund's; the church is in ruins. In opening a barrow, in 1821, opposite the site of the Roman camp at Caistor, the remains of two skeletons with the teeth perfect, and four Roman urns containing calcined bones, were found.