Mereworth (St. Lawrence)
MEREWORTH (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Malling, hundred of Littlefield, lathe of Aylesford, W. division of Kent, 7 miles (W. S. W.) from Maidstone; containing 862 inhabitants. This parish is bounded on the north by the Hurst woods, and comprises 2374 acres, of which 905 are in wood. The soil is generally a light hazel-coloured mould, resting on Kentish ragstone; the surface is boldly undulated, and there are some fine tracts of grazing-land. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14. 2. 6., and in the patronage of the Baroness Le Despencer: the tithes have been commuted for £822. 10., and the glebe comprises 33 acres. The church, rebuilt by John, Earl of Westmorland, in 1744, is a very handsome edifice constructed of stone, with a fine Corinthian portico, and a lofty spire.