Merevale (St. Mary)
MEREVALE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Atherstone, partly in the hundred of Sparkenhoe, S. division of the county of Leicester, and partly in the Atherstone division of the hundred of Hemlingford, N. division of the county of Warwick, 1½ mile (W. by S.) from Atherstone; containing 314 inhabitants, of whom 106 are in the Leicester portion. The river Anker bounds that part of the parish which is situated in Leicestershire; the part in the county of Warwick comprises about 870 acres. The surface is hilly, the soil a strong clay, and the scenery richly diversified: coal is obtained, and one mine is now in operation. The Roman Watling-street passes by the parish; and the Coventry canal runs in a north-eastern direction. The village, which is in Warwickshire, is small and scattered. The living is a peculiar with exempt jurisdiction, in the patronage of W. S. Dugdale, Esq. The church is partly in the decorated, and partly in the later English style. An abbey for Cistercian monks was founded by Robert, Earl of Ferrers and Nottingham, about 1148, and dedicated to the Virgin Mary; the remains consist of what is supposed to have been the refectory, and of part of the foundations of the buildings.