Mepal (St. Mary)
MEPAL (St. Mary), a parish, in the hundred of South Witchford, union and Isle of Ely, county of Cambridge, 4 miles (S. E.) from Chatteris; containing 539 inhabitants. The parish comprises by admeasurement 1524 acres, principally in pasture; about 263 acres are common or waste land. The living is a rectory, with the vicarage of Sutton united, valued in the king's books at £3. 6. 8., and in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Ely, the appropriators of Sutton: the tithes of Mepal have been commuted for £270, and the glebe comprises 42 acres.