Meopham (St. John the Baptist)
MEOPHAM (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of North Aylesford, hundred of Tolting-Trough, lathe of Aylesford, W. division of Kent, 5½ miles (S.) from the town of Gravesend; containing 937 inhabitants. It comprises 4694a. 2r. 22p., of which 3026 acres are arable, 508 meadow and pasture, 877 woodland, and 147 hop plantations. The living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Archbishop of Canterbury, valued in the king's books at £16. 3. 4.; net income, £435; appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury. The church, in the decorated English style, was built in 1396 by Archbishop Courtenay, who founded four almshouses near it.