Meon, West (St. John the Evangelist)
MEON, WEST (St. John the Evangelist), a parish, in the union of Droxford, hundred of Fawley, Droxford and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 7½ miles (N. E.) from Bishop's-Waltham; containing, with the hamlet of Woodlands, 814 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, with that of Privett annexed, valued in the king's books at £30. 17. 11., and in the gift of the Bishop of Winchester: the tithes have been commuted for £729, and the glebe comprises 36 acres. The present church, consecrated in May, 1846, stands on an eminence at the entrance to the village; it was built chiefly at the cost of the late Archdeacon Bayley, and is in the style of the latter part of the 13th century. There is a place of worship for Independents.