Meon-Stoke (St. Mary)
MEON-STOKE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Droxford, hundred of Meon-Stoke, Droxford and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 4 miles (N. E. by E.) from Bishop's Waltham; containing 459 inhabitants. This place is supposed by Camden to derive its name from the ancient district of Meanwari, which, together with the Isle of Wight, was given to Ethelwald, King of the West Saxons, at his baptism, by Wulphere, King of the Mercians, who was his godfather. The parish comprises by measurement 2256 acres; 1329 are inclosed and cultivated, and the remainder open downs. The village, of which a considerable portion was destroyed by fire about the year 1740, is neatly built. The living is a rectory, with that of Soberton annexed, valued in the king's books at £46. 2. 11., and in the gift of the Bishop of Winchester: the tithes of the parish have been commuted for £280; there is a glebehouse, and the glebe comprises 28 acres. The church is in the decorated English style, and contains many interesting details; the east window is enriched with delicate tracery, in which is the rose of William of Wykeham, by whom this part of the building is said to have been erected. On the north-eastern boundary of the parish is a Roman camp called Old Winchester, within which a beautiful Roman lamp was discovered in 1834; and at the western entrance of the fortification are several barrows, which have been opened and found to contain calcined bones, fragments of Roman pottery, and other relics.