Meon, East (All Saints)
MEON, EAST (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Petersfield, partly in the hundred of Meon-Stoke, but chiefly in that of East Meon, Petersfield and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 4½ miles (W. by S.) from Petersfield; containing, with the tythings of Bordean, Coombe, Langrish, Oxenbourne, Peak, Ramsdean, Riplington, and Westbury, 1499 inhabitants, of whom 651 are in East Meon tything. The parish comprises 10,825a. 3r. 11p., of which 7306 acres are arable, 676 meadow and pasture, 1350 woodland, 1277 down, and the remainder common and waste: the scenery is beautifully diversified. An act for inclosing certain lands was passed in 1839. A pleasure-fair is held on the 19th of September. The living is a vicarage, endowed with a portion of the rectorial tithes, with the livings of Froxfield and Steep annexed, in the patronage of the Bishop of Winchester (the appropriator of the remainder of the rectorial tithes), and valued in the king's books at £35. 1. 8.; net income, £903. The church is a handsome cruciform structure, with a Norman tower surmounted by a spire, and a highly-enriched western doorway; and contains a very ancient font, similar to that in Winchester cathedral, sculptured with symbolical figures representing the Expulsion of Adam and Eve from Paradise, and their subsequent instruction in the arts of husbandry and spinning. There is a school with a small endowment.