Melton, Great (The Virgin Mary)
MELTON, GREAT (The Virgin Mary), a parish, in the union of Henstead, hundred of Humbleyard, E. division of Norfolk, 5¾ miles (W. S. W.) from Norwich; containing 429 inhabitants. The parish comprises by measurement 2487 acres of land, chiefly the property of Edward Lombe, Esq., whose seat of Melton Hall is a handsome mansion, containing a fine ornithological collection, including 400 specimens, all prepared by the celebrated Leadbeater. The living comprises the united rectories of All Saints and St. Mary the Virgin, valued in the king's books at £6. 13. 4. each, and in the gift of Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge: the tithes have been commuted for £748. 10., and the glebe comprises 22½ acres. The church of the Virgin is chiefly in the early English style, with a square embattled tower built in 1440. The church of All Saints, which stood in the same churchyard, was partly taken down in the reign of Anne; the ruins are finely mantled with ivy.