Mellion, St., or Mellyn
MELLION, ST., or Mellyn, a parish, in the union of St. Germans, Middle division of the hundred of East, E. division of Cornwall, 3¼ miles (S. E. by S.) from Callington; containing 395 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 1480 acres, of which 970 are arable, 150 woodland, and 350 pasture and common: the soil is light, and the lower grounds are watered by the river Lynher; the scenery is richly diversified. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 12. 6., and in the gift of J. T. Coryton, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £225, and the glebe comprises 64 acres. The church is an ancient structure in the early English style, with a lofty tower of granite; it contains some rich Norman details, and monuments to the Coryton family.