Melbury-Bubb (St. Mary)
MELBURY-BUBB (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Cerne, hundred of Yetminster, Cerne division of Dorset, 2 miles (N. E.) from Evershot; containing 126 inhabitants, and comprising by admeasurement 1227 acres. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 10. 5., and in the gift of the Earl of Ilchester: the tithes have been commuted for £181, and the glebe comprises 48 acres. The church is of brick and stone, and chiefly in the later style, with a tower on the south side, the lower stage of which forms a porch. There was anciently a chapel in the tything of Woolcombe, which has entirely disappeared, and on an eminence called Bubb Down was a beacon.