MELBOURN, a township, in the parish of Thornton, union of Pocklington, Holme-Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, E. riding of York, 5¼ miles (S. W.) from Pocklington; containing 514 inhabitants. The township is intersected by the Pocklington canal, and contains 3085a. 3r. 36p., presenting generally a flat surface. A small stream flows near the village, which consists chiefly of detached houses; and at a short distance to the south is Melbourn Hall. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1777. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists.