MELBECKS, a township, in the parish of Grinton, union of Richmond, wapentake of Gilling-West, N. riding of York, 14 miles (W. by S.) from Richmond; containing 1633 inhabitants. The township is situated on the north side of Swaledale, along which extend numerous hamlets, and comprises by computation 10,106 acres, whereof 8643 are wild and uncultivated moors: extensive and productive lead-mines are in operation. A church dedicated to the Trinity, to which a district has been assigned, was erected in 1843, by subscription, aided by a grant of £300 from the Ripon Diocesan Society; it is a light and handsome edifice in the later English style. The living has been endowed with £150 per annum by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and is in the patronage of the Vicar of Grinton; a parsonagehouse was built in 1843. There are places of worship for Presbyterians and Wesleyans.