Medbourne (St. Giles)
MEDBOURNE (St. Giles), a parish, in the union of Uppingham, hundred of Gartree, S. division of the county of Leicester, 5 miles (W. by N.) from Rockingham; containing, with the chapelry of Holt, 574 inhabitants. An act for the inclosure of land was passed in 1842. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £35. 11. 0½.; net income, £606; patrons, the Master and Fellows of St. John's College, Cambridge. There is a chapel of ease at Holt. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. A school is endowed with £32 per annum; and the poor have bequests producing £38. 11. per annum. In a field north-westward from the village are the remains of intrenchments, with foundations of buildings, covering an area about half a mile square: in 1721, a tessellated pavement was discovered; and other Roman remains have been dug up at different times.