MEARLEY, a township, in the parochial chapelry, parliamentary borough, and poor-law union of Clitheroe, parish of Whalley, Higher division of the hundred of Blackburn, N. division of Lancashire, 2 miles (S. E. by E.) from Clitheroe; containing 53 inhabitants. The chief part of the township was granted by Jordan le Rous to Stephen, afterwards called de Merley, whose daughter married Adam de Nowell, and carried the Hall and manor into that family, 38th of Edward III. Lawrence Nowell exchanged the chase and manor of Merley with Sir Richard Greenacres, for lands elsewhere, and an heiress of the last-named brought the estate to the Radcliffes, of Todmorden. An only daughter of Joshua Radcliffe married Roger Mainwaring, who wasted the property, and sold it to the Harrison family, from whom Mearley passed by purchase to Piers Starkie, Esq., of Huntroyd. The hamlet and manor of Little Mearley, in the township, still remain in the descendants of William Nowell, the first grantee under John de Lacy, who died in the year 1240. The township lies under Pendle Hill.