Meare (St. Mary)
MEARE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Wells, hundred of Glaston-Twelve-Hides, E. division of Somerset, 3¼ miles (N. W. by W.) from Glastonbury; containing, with the chapelry of Godney, 1522 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £13. 2. 8.; net income, £228; patrons, B. Wake and W. Purlewent, Esqrs.; impropriators, the feoffees of a charity at Shepton-Mallett. The tithes were commuted for land in 1778. The church is in the early English style of architecture, with an embattled tower. At Godney is a separate incumbency. In the parish are the remains of encampments, of Danish origin, with a double ditch.