Mawnan (St. Mona)
MAWNAN (St. Mona), a parish, in the union of Falmouth, E. division of the hundred of Kerrier, W. division of Cornwall, 5 miles (S. by W.) from Falmouth; containing 582 inhabitants. It is bounded on the south-east by the English Channel, in which, within its limits, are two small open bays, called respectively Paisk and Bream; on the south runs the Helford river, an arm of the sea about a mile in breadth. The parish comprises 2058a. 3r. 37p. The soil is indifferent; in some parts coarse and shallow, and in others overgrown with furze: the surface is hilly, and the lower grounds are watered by numerous rivulets. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14. 16. 3., and in the gift of the Rev. John Rogers: the tithes have been commuted for £304. 10.; the glebe comprises 38 acres, with a spacious house. The church is a handsome structure, in the later English style: on rebuilding the north wall, in 1827, the foundations of a wall were discovered, which had evidently belonged to a former church. At Penwarne was anciently a chapel, with a cemetery. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans. At Carlinnack is a circular intrenchment.