Maulden (St. Mary)
MAULDEN (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Ampthill, hundred of Redbornestoke, county of Bedford, 1½ mile (E.) from Ampthill; containing 1330 inhabitants. It comprises nearly 3000 acres; 260 are woodland and plantations, and of the remainder twothirds are arable and one-third pasture: the surface is varied and the low grounds are watered by the river Flitt, a tributary of the Ivel. Many of the females are employed in lace-making and the platting of straw. There are some quarries of sandstone. A pleasure-fair is held in the week nearest to St. Bartholomew's day. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £15. 9. 7.; net income, £512; patron, the Marquess of Ailesbury: the tithes were commuted for land and a corn-rent in 1796. The church, principally in the later English style, was restored in 1837. There are places of worship for Baptists and Independents.