Mattishall (All Saints)
MATTISHALL (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Mitford and Launditch, hundred of Mitford, W. division of Norfolk, 5 miles (E. S. E.) from East Dereham; containing 1155 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2280a. 1p., of which 1898 acres are arable, 338 pasture and meadow, and 10 woodland. The worsted manufacture was carried on, but since the introduction of machinery it has been discontinued. The living is a discharged vicarage, with the rectory of Pattesley united, valued in the king's books at £7. 7. 3½.; patrons and impropriators, the Master and Fellows of Caius College, Cambridge. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £448, and the vicarial for £293; the impropriate glebe comprises 6 acres, and the vicarial 23. The church is a handsome structure in the later English style, with a lofty embattled tower surmounted by a spire; on the south side of the chancel is a piscina of elegant design, and the church contains several monuments, and some ancient brasses. Here are places of worship for the Society of Friends, Independents, and Primitive Methodists. At the inclosure of the parish, 60 acres were allotted to the poor: these, with other lands, produce £90 per annum; and the poor have some small sums arising from benefactions.