Mattersey (All Saints)
MATTERSEY (All Saints), a parish, in the union of East Retford, Hatfield division of the wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of Nottingham, 3½ miles (S. E.) from Bawtry; containing 519 inhabitants. This parish consists of 2561 acres, in a fertile district abounding with pleasing scenery; the lands were inclosed in 1770. The village is situated on the bank of the river Idle, over which is a neat stone bridge; and the Chesterfield canal passes within a mile. A fair, chiefly for horned-cattle, is held on the 29th of September. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 8. 9.; patron, the Archbishop of York; impropriator, Earl Spencer. The tithes have been commuted for 130 acres of land, valued at £300 per annum; and there is a glebe-house. The church is a handsome structure in the later English style, forming an interesting feature in the landscape. Here is a place of worship for Wesleyans. A priory of Gilbertine canons, dedicated to St. Helen, was founded here before 1192, by Roger de Maresay, and at the Dissolution had a revenue of £61. 17. 7.