Marton, Long (St. Margaret)
MARTON, LONG (St. Margaret), a parish, in East ward and union, county of Westmorland, 4 miles (N. N. W.) from Appleby; containing, with the townships of Brampton and Knock, 804 inhabitants, of whom 303 are in Long Marton township. The village is one of the most considerable in the county, and presents a neat appearance. Marton House, a handsome stone edifice situated at its northern extremity, is occupied by the principal agent to the London Lead Company, whose mining office is here. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £21. 15. 7½.; net income, £673; patron, the Earl of Thanet. The tithes were commuted for land, under acts of inclosure, in 1804 and 1815. The church is a large edifice. A place of worship for Wesleyans was erected in 1816.