Marton (St. Cuthbert)
MARTON (St. Cuthbert), a parish, in the union of Stokesley, W. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, N. riding of York, 6 miles (E. S. E.) from Stockton-on-Tees; containing 410 inhabitants. This place was formerly the property of the Bruces, who at one time held under the Conqueror; and among the subsequent owners of land mention occurs of the nuns of Basedale: a considerable portion of the soil was also possessed by the priests connected with the cell of Middlesborough; and of more recent proprietors may be named the families of Lowther, Ramsden, and Rudd. The parish is in the district of Cleveland, and comprises 3436 acres, of which rather more than 2000 are arable, 150 woodland and plantations, and the remainder meadow and pasture. In the northern extremity of the parish the surface is nearly level, but towards the south the grounds rise by an easy ascent, and become varied and uneven; the soil is fertile, chiefly consisting of a clayey loam. The village, which was once of greater extent, is pleasantly seated on the road from Yarm to Redcar. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £4. 18. 9.; patron and appropriator, the Archbishop of York: the great tithes have been commuted for £541. 16., the vicarial for £137. 15., and the glebe comprises 5 acres. The church contains a neat tablet to the memory of Capt. Cook, the great circumnavigator, who was born in the parish, 27th October, 1728. There are places of worship for Wesleyans.