Marton (St. Margaret)
MARTON (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union of Gainsborough, wapentake of Well, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 5¾ miles (S. by E.) from Gainsborough; containing 523 inhabitants, and comprising 1180 acres. This parish, which is situated on the river Trent, has communication with the towns on that river, and a considerable trade is carried on in the import and export of corn, timber, coal, lime, and other articles. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £4. 13. 4.; net income, £115; patron, the Bishop of Lincoln: the impropriation belongs to Mr. Hindley. The tithes were commuted for land in 1770; the glebe comprises 70 acres, and there is a glebe-house. The church is an ancient structure, with a tower, and combines various Norman details with others of later date. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists; and a national school supported partly by subscription. The Roman Tilbridge-lane passes through the parish.