Martin, St., in Meneage
MARTIN, ST., in Meneage, a parish, in the union of Helston, W. division of the hundred of Kerrier and of the county of Cornwall, 6¾ miles (E. S. E.) from Helston; containing 565 inhabitants. It comprises 2294 acres, of which 380 are common or waste: the river Hel flows on the north side of the parish. The living is a rectory not in charge, united to that of Mawgan: the tithes have been commuted for £300. The church, with the exception of the tower, was rebuilt in 1830. Here is a place of worship for Wesleyans. At Gear is a circular encampment, comprising an area of fourteen acres, defended by a very deep fosse; there is also an encampment on the estate of Carvallack. Captain Wallis, the circumnavigator, resided for some time at Tremayne, in the parish.