MARTIN, ST., an extra-parochial liberty, locally in the chapelry of Hipswell, parish of Catterick, union of Richmond, wapentake of Hang-East, N. riding of York, ¾ of a mile (S. E.) from Richmond; containing 8 inhabitants. About the year 1100, Wymar, chief steward to the Earl of Richmond, gave the chapel of St. Martin, with some land adjoining, to the abbey of St. Mary at York, upon which a cell of Benedictine monks was established here. This cell continued till the Dissolution, when its revenue was estimated at £43. 16. 8.