Martin (All Saints)
MARTIN (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Fordingbridge, S. division of the hundred of Damerham, Salisbury and Amesbury, and S. divisions of Wilts, 4½ miles (N. N. E.) from Cranborne; containing, with the tything of Tidpit, and the extra-parochial place of Allenford Farm, 582 inhabitants, of whom 69 are in East, and 460 in West, Martin. The parish comprises by computation nearly 5000 acres. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Vicar of South Damerham. The church is a handsome structure, in the later English style. There is a place of worship for Primitive Methodists; and a national school is supported by subscription. William Talk, Esq., in 1796 bequeathed £3000, which are appropriated to the support of six poor persons.