Marston-Upon-Dove (St. Mary)
MARSTON-UPON-DOVE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Burton-upon-Trent, hundred of Appletree, S. division of the county of Derby, 2 miles (E. N. E.) from Tutbury; containing, with the townships of Hatton, Hilton, and Hoon, 1177 inhabitants, of whom 85 are in the township of Marston. The manor was given to the priory of Tutbury by the founder, Henry de Ferrers; and was granted after the Reformation to the Cavendish family. The parish comprises 4227 acres, chiefly rich pasture and dairy-farms, and of level surface: in Marston township are 976 acres. The river Dove passes on the south of the parish. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 15. 2½.; net income, £225; patron and impropriator, the Duke of Devonshire: the tithes were commuted for land and money payments in 1780 and 1789. The vicarage-house is a neat mansion with gardens and shrubberies attached. The church is partly in the early and partly in the decorated English style, and is a handsome edifice, consisting of a nave, chancel, aisles, and a tower with a lofty spire; it was repaired and repewed, and a singing-gallery with an organ erected, in 1816, at a cost of £1600, and a gallery was built on the north side in 1830: the font is curious and ancient. There are several bequests, among them those of the Woolley family, for the benefit of the poor.