Marston-Moretaine (St. Mary)
MARSTON-MORETAINE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Ampthill, hundred of Redbornestoke, county of Bedford, 4 miles (N. W.) from Ampthill; containing 1147 inhabitants, and comprising 4171a. 2r. 21p. The females are employed in lace-making by hand, and in platting straw. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £33. 17. 3½., and in the gift of St. John's College, Cambridge: the tithes have been commuted for £1120, and the glebe comprises 68 acres. The church is a very elegant structure, mostly in the later English style, and contains some curious brasses; the tower, which is of earlier date, and the walls of which are six feet in thickness, is detached. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.