Marston, Butlers (St. Peter and St. Paul)
MARSTON, BUTLERS (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Shipston-upon-Stour, Kington division of the hundred of Kington, S. division of the county of Warwick, 1½ mile (S. W. by S.) from Kington; containing 313 inhabitants. The parish comprises by computation 1650 acres of land, chiefly arable; the soil is clayey, and the surface undulated, rising in some parts into considerable hills. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 3. 4.; net income, £88; patrons and impropriators, the Dean and Canons of Christ-Church, Oxford. The church is an ancient structure, principally in the Norman style. Upon an artificial mount was, until lately, a decayed elm of large dimensions, capable of containing twelve persons, and formed by nature into the appearance of a grotto.