Marston (St. Lawrence)
MARSTON (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Brackley, hundred of King's-Sutton, S. division of the county of Northampton, 5 miles (E.) from Banbury; containing 540 inhabitants. It comprises 1865a. 28p., of which two-thirds are rich pasture, and the remainder arable and woodland. Several tributaries of the river Ouse have their rise in the parish. The females are employed in making pillow-lace. There are some quarries of stone for building purposes and for repairing the roads. The living is a vicarage, with that of Warkworth annexed, valued in the king's books at £20; net income, £316; patron and impropriator, John Jackson Blencowe, Esq. The tithes were commuted for land in 1759; the glebe comprises 190 acres, with a house. The church is a fine edifice of the 14th century, with the usual ground plan, and has a square tower of lofty proportions; the churchyard is inclosed by an invisible fence merely, so that it appears to form part of the pleasure-grounds of Mr. Blencowe. Two schools are partly supported by charity.