Marsk (St. Cuthbert)
MARSK (St. Cuthbert), a parish, in the union of Richmond, wapentake of Gilling-West, N. riding of York, 4¾ miles (W.) from Richmond; containing, with the township of Feldom and the hamlet of Skelton, 274 inhabitants. The lordship of Marsk was bestowed upon the Hutton family in the 12th century, by Conan, Earl of Richmond, whose original grant is still preserved in the Hall. The parish comprises by computation 5220 acres. The village is small, and picturesquely seated on the north side of Swaledale, upon the road from Richmond to Reeth; about a mile and half north of it, on the high moors, is the hamlet of Feldom, and half a mile westward that of Skelton. Marsk Hall and Clints Hall are both beautifully situated in fine lawns and pleasuregrounds, and near the former is an obelisk 60 feet in height, which covers the remains of Captain Matthew Hutton, who died in 1813. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 6. 5½., and in the patronage of J. Hutton, Esq., with a net income of £179. A school, endowed with about £20 per annum, is conducted on the national system.