Marnhull (St. Gregory)
MARNHULL (St. Gregory), a parish, in the union and hundred of Sturminster-Newton-Castle, Sturminster division of Dorset, 6 miles (W. S. W.) from Shaftesbury; containing 1464 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the river Stour, and comprises 3751 acres, of which about one-third is arable, and the remainder pasture, with 146 acres of common or waste land. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £31. 6. 10½., and in the gift of the Rev. H. J. Place: the tithes have been commuted for £1024, and the glebe comprises 22 acres. The church is an ancient structure in the later English style, with a square embattled tower. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Roman Catholics.