Marnham (St. Wilfrid)
MARNHAM (St. Wilfrid), a parish, in the union of East Retford, N. division of the wapentake of Thurgarton, S. division of the county of Nottingham, 4¾ miles (E. by S.) from Tuxford; containing, with the township of Grassthorpe and the hamlet of Skegby, 350 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the west bank of the Trent, and comprises by measurement 2452 acres: the village is near the river, over which is a ferry. A cattle-fair is held on the 12th of September. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 19. 2.; net income, £298; patron and impropriator, Earl Brownlow. The vicarial tithes, exclusive of Skegby, have been commuted for £246, and the glebe consists of 16 acres. The church, a small fabric with a tower, has been restored at a cost of £1000.