Marldon (St. John the Baptist)
MARLDON (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Totnes, hundred of Haytor, Paignton and S. divisions of Devon, 4 miles (W.) from Torquay; containing 470 inhabitants. It comprises 2158a. 2r., of which 789 acres are arable, 1097 meadow and pasture, and 193 woodland; the surface is undulated, and the soil of the long and well-wooded vale in which the district is situated, is rich and fertile. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Paignton: the impropriate tithes have been commuted for £215, and the vicarial for £235. The church is a handsome edifice, lately fitted up with new and substantial pews. In the village of Compton are considerable ruins of an extensive castellated mansion once occupied by the family of Gilbert, of whom Sir Humphry Gilbert, the great circumnavigator, was brother, by his mother's side, to Sir Walter Raleigh, who accompanied him in some of his voyages.