Marksbury (St. Peter)
MARKSBURY (St. Peter), a parish, in the union and hundred of Keynsham, E. division of Somerset, 3½ miles (E. by S.) from Pensford; containing, with the hamlet of Houndstreet, 328 inhabitants. The parish comprises by computation 1420 acres, principally pasture. The soil is generally a stone brash, but black and blue marl are found, and successfully applied to the improvement of the land; the surface is hilly, and the lower grounds are watered by several rivulets. Coal is obtained. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £10. 4. 2.; net income, £240; patron, General Popham, to whom a small portion of the tithes belongs. There are slight remains of an ancient chapel on Wingsbury Hill; and a monastery existed in the parish, the site of which is now occupied by a private mansion.