Markham, West, or Markham-Clinton (All Saints)
MARKHAM, WEST, or Markham-Clinton (All Saints), a parish, in the union of East Retford, South Clay division of the wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of Nottingham, 1¾ mile (N. W.) from Tuxford; containing, with the hamlet of Milton, 191 inhabitants. The parish comprises by computation 1067 acres. The living is a vicarage, with that of Bevercoates united, valued in the king's books at £7. 12. 1.; net income, £254; patron and impropriator, the Duke of Newcastle: the tithes were commuted for land in 1808. The present church, erected at the expense of his Grace, to supersede the old edifice, and also as a place of sepulture for his family, was consecrated on the 3rd of January, 1834, and is a handsome structure of the Grecian-Doric order, of Roche-Abbey stone. Sir John Markham, chief justice of the king's bench in the reign of Edward IV., was born here.